Band 6 AFC Registered Nurse- Home Care Service
Contract: Full time, permanent
Salary: Band 6 Agenda for Change
Location: HA3 0YG
St Luke’s Hospice – cares for people approaching the end of their life in Harrow and Brent. We aim to give the people we care for the best possible quality of life, each and every day. Supporting local people and their families is at the heart of what we do – focusing on what matters the most to them is at the centre of our care.
The care we give is free of charge, available to all, and respects the cultures, religions and beliefs in our richly diverse community. Our care is given with compassion and dignity and involves not just looking after the patient, but also includes supporting the people closest to them.
We receive around 40% of our funding from the NHS and the rest is raised from the amazing generosity of the organisations and people who make our care possible. Our local community is a vital partner in our care, kindly supporting us through their donations and fundraising alongside the dedication of over 800 incredible volunteers who freely give us their time to support the best possible end of life care for local people.
Job Purpose and scope
- To receive and process referrals to the service
- To set up packages of care using hospice staff and external agencies
- To provide clinical care to patients known to the Hospice at Home Service including the Single Point of Access and Rapid Response team.
- Provide support and direction to Healthcare Assistants to ensure the delivery of a high quality service to palliative care patients in their own homes.
- Be responsible for recording activities and maintaining accurate and complete patient notes
- The post holder will play a key role in the raising of clinical standards and quality for patients with life limiting illnesses and in the monitoring and improving of standards of care.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work within the Hospice at Home Service to provide cover across all aspects of the teams remit including the Single Point of Access and Rapid Response services
- Be confident and competent to manage telephone contacts and triage calls appropriately
- Be able to receive and process referrals
- Visit patients at home to assess their needs, putting together packages of care using a risk assessed approach that are appropriate, flexible and patient focused
- Liaise closely with other care agencies involved in the care of the patient encouraging effective and efficient use of resources (Social Services, Continuing Care Teams and Hospital Discharge Liaisons teams).
- Deliver direct care to patients and provide day-to-day clinical support to the Health Care Assistants and volunteers in their delivery of care to patients at home
- Liaise with the wider multidisciplinary team (MDT) involved in the individual’s care to ensure the package of care is communicated to them.
- Liaise with the MDT when significant changes to this care package are required / implemented
- Work with the wider MDT to ensure the patients shared record is kept up-to-date and that key information is available in a timely way
- Work with the team to ensure clinical documentation and all care plans are reviewed and evaluated at regular intervals.
- Make additional visits to patients at home if requested to do so by the patient / family, another healthcare professional or at key stages of their care pathway that have been agreed.
- Respond to urgent requests for care ensuring the appropriate professional attends to deliver care and that needs are met within the required timeframe
- Work with other teams and services to respond to calls, liaising with the appropriate service to ensure they are able to visit and deliver care
- Provide telephone advice and support to patients, families and other health and social care professionals
- Be responsible for updating the icare patient data system regularly and manage patient information sensitively and confidentially.
- Ensure the dignity of patients and families is respected at all times
- Ensure confidentiality in the best interest of the patient, is maintained at all times.
For full list of duties, please refer to Job Description attached.
Interviews on a rolling basis
“Mandatory requirement: To be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt. Please note that we will undertake appropriate checks during the recruitment process and before any job offer is made.”