Community Support Volunteer
Location: Home visits, Hospice or Community based settings
Commitment: Approximately 2.5 hours per week and 80% training and supervision attendance
You will be responsible to Patient and Family Support Services Manager/Community Support Service Co-ordinator
Not everyone has the support that they can rely on to help them through difficult times and major life changes. Our Community Support Volunteer Service aims to help combat social isolation, empower service users, improve quality of life and build confidence.
We recognise and value the wide and diverse range of skills and experience that volunteers can bring to support our much needed Community Support Volunteer Service and its users who are living with or caring for someone with a terminal illness.
Once trained, our Community Support Volunteers have the opportunity to make a positive difference from providing much-needed companionship or practical support around the home to help with settling back in the community after leaving hospital or hospice; you will play an essential role at a crucial time in someone’s life.
- Supporting the service user and being responsive to their needs
- Maintaining regular and reliable contact within the agreed framework
- Empower service users and improve their quality of life
- Develop and establish a positive relationship whilst maintaining appropriate boundaries
- Actively listen, acknowledge and value the service user’s opinions and experience
Depending on the need volunteers can be involved in:
- Provide respite cover for informal carers to have a short break
- Engage service users in stimulating discussion and/or activities
- Providing regular companionship & reducing social isolation
- Accompany service users on local outings, appointments or shopping trips
- Provide low level practical support around the home to support their independence
- Assist the transition and adjustment back into the community following discharge
What are we looking for?
- Friendly, willing and helpful individuals
- Patient, understanding, empathetic and open-minded
What can you get in return?
- Reward and fulfilment from supporting patients and their families in need of support
- Full training will be provided and support offered throughout your time volunteering with us
- Experience and developing transferable skills such as communication and interpersonal skills
- Reimbursement of travel expenses (capped)