Location: attend 4 comittees per year
Commitment: Approximately 2.5 hours per week and 80% training and supervision attendance
You will be responsible to Patient and Family Support Services Manager/Community Support Service Co-ordinator
About St Luke’s Hospice
St Luke’s Hospice – Caring for Harrow and Brent St Luke’s Hospice cares for people approaching the end of their life in Harrow and Brent. We aim to give the people we care for the best possible quality of life, each and every day. Supporting local people and their families is at the heart of what we do – focusing on what matters the most to them is at the centre of our care.
The care we give is free of charge, available to all, and respects the cultures, religions, and beliefs in our richly diverse community. Our care is given with compassion and dignity and involves not just looking after the patient, but also includes supporting the people closest to them.
We receive around 40% of our funding from the NHS and the rest is raised from the amazing generosity of the organisations and people who make our care possible. Our local community is a vital partner in our care, kindly supporting us through their donations and fundraising alongside the dedication of over 800 incredible volunteers who freely give us their time to support the best possible end-of-life care for local people.
The role of a Trustee
- Supporting the service user and being responsive to their needs
- Maintaining regular and reliable contact within the agreed framework
- Empower service users and improve their quality of life
- Develop and establish a positive relationship whilst maintaining appropriate boundaries
- Actively listen, acknowledge and value the service user’s opinions and experience
Depending on the need volunteers can be involved in:
- Provide respite cover for informal carers to have a short break
- Engage service users in stimulating discussion and/or activities
- Providing regular companionship & reducing social isolation
- Accompany service users on local outings, appointments or shopping trips
- Provide low level practical support around the home to support their independence
- Assist the transition and adjustment back into the community following discharge
What are we looking for?
- Friendly, willing and helpful individuals
- Patient, understanding, empathetic and open-minded
What can you get in return?
- Reward and fulfilment from supporting patients and their families in need of support
- Full training will be provided and support offered throughout your time volunteering with us
- Experience and developing transferable skills such as communication and interpersonal skills
- Reimbursement of travel expenses (capped)