The Care Home Support Service provides support to care homes in North Brent. Our aims for the service are to empower care home staff, increasing knowledge, skills and confidence to:
- Identify residents in care homes who are entering the last year of life.
- Holistically assess and provide a plan of care for residents as their condition deteriorates.
- Recognise and respond to a residents changing condition whether gradual or sudden.
- Improve communication for the resident in the last phase of life, fulfilling where possible their wishes in relation to their preferred place of care and preferred place of death.
The team is comprised of a Team Leader and Care Home Facilitators who are all Registered Nurses. The team are all experienced in caring for people with life limiting conditions. The service visits care homes regularly to provide support and empower care home staff to deliver high quality end of life care in a care home setting.
How we can help
The Care Home Support Service provides by:
- Working collaboratively by meeting with each Nursing Home Manager and all care home staff to gain a better understanding of the care home and identify the type of support the care home requires in relation to palliative and end of life care.
- Visiting the care home on a frequent basis and providing high level facilitation to care home staff face to face.
- Working in partnership by meeting with GP’s and other MDT members assigned to the care home to review residents when medical rounds are performed in the care home setting.
- Introducing and implementing the use of Supportive Care Registers in each care home incorporating a Palliative and End of Life Care Checklist – the register is used to help care home staff identify residents at risk of deteriorating and dying whom may suffer with one or multiple comorbidities and take appropriate actions.
- Empowering care home staff to find out what is important to residents and their families by offering the opportunity to discuss advance care planning.
- Providing an innovative rolling programme of education for care home staff - End of Life Care Champion Training which can be provided on site in each care home and also bi-annually at St Luke’s Hospice.
- Facilitating reflective debriefing in the care home setting to provide opportunity for care home staff to reminisce and talk about the resident who has died and reflect on the care they gave them. This gives everyone the opportunity to express how they feel, to discuss the care provision provided and learn lessons for the future in relation to end of life care provision.
- Facilitating family meetings with care home staff to discuss Advance Care Planning, DNACPR discussions, ceilings of treatment for resident as their condition deteriorates.